Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Joel's Birthday



Okay...ignore the lame picture...I was testing out how to do it and now I don't know how to delete it! Of course, now that I look at it, this picture, though lovely, looks lonely...sort of how I feel right now. Don't laugh, but this whole, being without a phone really stinks! I feel totally isolated, or like I'm on one of those hills in the picture.

Yesterday was Joel's second b-day which we celebrated with the oh, so original, dinner at McDonald's! He and Sam both liked it, so I guess I can put off being "Super Creative Mom" one more year! We ended the day with an ice cream cake bought at Giant (the local grocer) and singing happy birthday while Sam blew out the two candles that Joel was afraid of. Oh, and Daddy and Sam sang the "Joel-er Bear" song to him...pretty memorable stuff!

In the celebrating of Joel's birthday, I was reminded of that Saturday morning he was born and the night before when we left Samuel with our friends. Samuel was only eight months old at the time and yet somehow I felt like I was betraying him. The next time I saw him he would not be our only son...he would have a brother. And now, two years later, as I watch my two boys play and always want to be together, I clearly see the kindness and goodness of the Lord, not just to Rob and I for another dear son, but to Samuel as well. He will not have a childhood memory that doesn't in some way include his "Bubba", Joel...and that is a wonderful thing! They are inseperable, and though it isn't always smiles and laughter at home, they truly are friends AND brothers!

And in this transition to MD, I am SO thankful to the Lord that they have each other! Many of you back in Frisco won't hardly believe this, but last Sunday, our first at Covenant Life, the boys were thankfully in the same class, and BOTH went in without screaming or crying! (Sorry to disappoint Marie!) It was a true grace of God b/c we had really prepared ourselves for the humbling worst...of course there is always this week!

2 comments:

erin said...

I'm sure the McDonalds birthday WAS really special to both the boys. Happy birthday, Joel! Miss you guys.

Solange said...

Happy b-day Joel! I miss you friend!
Maurice