Friday, September 7, 2007

First Ladies' Meeting with Carolyn Mahaney!


Last night was the PC student's and their wives first monthly meeting with the Mahaney's! It had been scheduled to be a couples meeting, but CJ decided to change it at the last minute. He said the ladies would benefit more from being with just Carolyn. And we did benefit greatly from her right from the start! What a treat!

She began with her testimony which included her childhood/youth years, her conversion, meeting CJ, and then their early years of marriage and motherhood. I was greatly impacted by God's grace in her life in those early years of marriage and motherhood. She didn't have an older woman to turn to for wisdom and advice so she devoured any books she could find that would serve her. In her telling of this struggle and desire, I was struck by God's grace and kindness towards me to have supplied older women and numerous books to help, serve, and walk along side me. What a gift and mercy of the Lord! I was also slightly convicted that I don't tap into these sources of grace enough! I don't read enough! I don't ask questions or for help enough! By God's grace I will humble myself and do this more!

Another truth that is echoing in my heart today as I reflect on all Carolyn said is this, "The best way we can serve the church begins in our home." Wow! How simple and yet convicting. I confess that I have not seen it that way. I have complained in my heart, and at times, aloud, about being without Rob when he has been serving (and now learning!), or about caring for and disciplining the children more without him, than with him. Carolyn freshly reminded us, that our pastor husbands, in this regard, are not ours. It should be a privilege to release him for service to the body of Christ! I pray that in this season and time at the PC, the Lord will do a real work and change in my heart to view my circumstances with fresh faith and joy!

I could go on and on, but I will end on that note. And to all you guys out there, I will try to have Rob add a post about the men's time with CJ! Love you all!

3 comments:

jeanna said...

Wow! What a joy and priviledge to be able to get srong and encouraging teaching from Carolyn herself! I can't wait to hear more of what you learn as the months go by, I am sure I will be absorbing it also.

laura said...

i must confess, michelle- i am so jealous at you getting to meet with Carolyn- wow! i echo jeanna in saying- teach us, girl! i'm excited in what the Lord is doing in your life. i agree that it's hard to do all the "hard work" when your husband isn't around b/c he's working/studying. thanks for reminding me today that we support our husbands more by not complaining and by allowing them to do what God has called them to do with our blessing. take care!

Anonymous said...

hey Michelle, i was in toddler co-op with you at Fusion!! I can't believe this, but I live near Laura... I wrote a funny story about it on my blog.

Thanks for sharing about what you're learning at the PC. This post really ministered to me. I will be praying for your family and all that God is going to do. We got to go to Grace Church a few weeks ago! Very nice folks...Great church!