Thursday, September 13, 2007

Mrs. C.H. Spurgeon (A book review)


I completed Mrs. C. H. Spurgeon by Charles Ray last week and found it to be a very easy, enjoyable, and encouraging read! She was a remarkable woman; one who truly was an example for all other pastor's wives both then and now! I was struck by many quotes from Mrs. Spugeon, and by her undying devotion and service to the Lord and husband. The author, Charles Ray, wrote of Mrs. Spurgeon, "Her life was one long self-sacrifice. Her life is a brilliant example of what can be done by a weak woman who devotes herself to the service of the Master..." She threw herself into everything she did, and it showed.

After her initial meeting of Charles Spurgeon, Mrs. Spurgeon, known as Susannah Thompson at the time, was less than impressed! She admitedly looked upon him with prideful eyes and couldn't see past his "countrified manner and speech". Mrs. Spurgeon is quoted, after reflecting on the event, "It is a mercy that our lives are not left for us to plan, but that our Father chooses for us; else might we sometimes turn away from our best blessings, and put from us the choicest and loveliest gifts of His providence." I'm sure we all can agree with that thought with a hearty, "AMEN!"

Susannah Spurgeon was also a woman, who though at first found it difficult, embraced the sacrafice of releasing her husband with grace and much faith! There is much for me to learn from Mrs. Spurgeon in this area! During the couple's engagement and after a discouraging event, Susannah recalls her mother wisely telling her,"that my chosen husband was no ordinary man, that his whole life was absolutely dedicated to God and His service, and that I must never, never, hinder him by trying to put myself first in his heart." Quite a lesson to learn and one I struggle with often!

Charles Spurgeon's love for Susannah was just as devoted and tender as any man's should be. That was surprising to me though, because all I really knew of this "giant of the faith", was that he was amazing preacher used profoundly by the Lord. I knew nothing of his personal life, let alone details about his conversations with or letters to his wife (aka "Wifey"!). In his letters to her during their many times apart, he spoke often of his undying love and devotion to her as well as his longing to be with her.

One part that was lacking in the book was her role as a mother. She and Mr. Spurgeon had twin boys not long after being married (about nine months later), but little was told about this part of their lives. Just a small paragraph about their joy and hopes for the boys after their birth is given. I would to have liked to know more about her raising of their sons, but there very well could be another book out there more focused on this very area that I am not aware of.

Overall I found this book to be a very easy, enjoyable, and encouraging book to read. I would gladly recommend it to just about anyone, especially fellow pastor's wives! * * * * (4 stars!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing! I have to confess, it did make me smile a bit. It is not too often you see or hear of someone past or present with that name much less with that spelling. I think this is a must read for me! ; )

~Susannah Stanton~