Friday, November 9, 2007

Late Night Reflections on the Gospel


This week I have been trying to start each day thinking on and soaking in the gospel. Last Saturday at our monthly PC Wives meeting, Julie Purswell shared on spiritual disciplines. It was excellent! Very encouraging, inspiring, and challenging! She shared that often times in the past, her struggles have stemmed from being to self-focused, and not gospel-focused. The gospel should always leave us with hope! She even gave all the ladies a copy of A Gospel Primer by Milton Vincent! Then, the very next day, Jeff Purswell, her husband and dean of the PC, spoke at church on 1Cor. 15:1-11 (v.3,4) "For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures..." He did an excellent job in reminding us that the gospel is: essential, unchanging, and transforming! My heart was freshly awakened to the power of the gospel and its necessity in my life everyday!
Then one day this week I read in Valley of Vision a reminder, once again, of the gospel. This puritans words have truly become the cry of my heart as well.

Grant me to hear thy voice assuring me:
that by thy stripes I am healed,
that thou wast bruised for my iniquities,
that thou hast been made sin for me
that I might be righteous in thee,
that all my grievous sins, my manifold sins,
are all forgiven,
buried in the ocean of thy concealing blood.
I am guilty, but pardoned,
lost, but saved,
wandering, but found,
sinning, but cleansed.

Keep me always clinging to the cross.


My "trials" in light of the cross, don't look like much, and remind me that if the One who lives inside me can conquer sin and death, he can most certainly handle any and all of my situations.
"Thanks be to God for his inexpressible gift!" (2Cor. 9:15).

"...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me." 1Cor. 15:10b)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a fantastic entry. I found myself humming "How great the Father's Love for Us" as a read the Valley of Vision quote....

Chris

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle, I like your blog!!

solange

grandma t said...

Hi Dear One, Looks like you and the Lord are having some great times together. Michelle, I pray that you have great joy in life, great joy in motherhood, in being Rob's wife but most of all in being the Lord's child, you are greatly blessed. I pray that you will find rest in knowing that your sons will bring many to the throne room, they will be might warriors in the Kingdom. We Love You guys. Tell the boys grandma will put new cards in the mail tomorrow. Can't wait to see you
Love, grandma t

Anonymous said...

Michelle ... seems that you and the Lord are thinking and traveling down the same road!! It was great talking with you and Rob while I was in the Williamsburg, Virginia, area ... things seem to be rolling along great and can hardly wait to see you when you're home for Christmas. Give Rob and the boys a big hug and kiss for me!!
Love ... Judy