Monday, March 9, 2009

Survival...

Words of truth that are sustaining me in this roller coaster of a season in our journey of parenting:

Proverbs 19:18
"Discipline your son, for there is hope;"

Proverbs 15:1
"A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger."

Proverbs 13:24
"Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him."

Proverbs 23:13-14
"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you stike him with the rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Shoel."

Many days lately I have been temped toward despair and discouragement in the area of discipling and correcting our two older boys. Some mornings I wake up to one of them already needing correcting and I honestly want to roll over and cry and pray the bed will swallow me up. Alas, it doesn't happen and I must face the day and all that it holds: the good, the bad, and the ugly! However, last week the Lord kindly reminded me of these words of wisdom from the book of Proverbs and my mind has returned to them throughout the past few days. Though my efforts may seem futile and often times flawed by my own sin nature, I can take God at his Word...there is hope, discipline IS love, and "he who called you is faithful; He will surely do it!" (1 Thess. 5:24
Thank you Lord for your Word, and the life and hope it brings to a weary soul like me! What a gift of grace it is and I am grateful...oh, and also for this sweet little face (shown below) that greets me each morning! Such a kindness and grace when everyone else is screaming or disobeying or both!

Asher bright and early (and hungry) one morning...seriously this
was his face when he popped up to see me once I came in his room!
Love it! Had to capture it with a pic!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh Michelle! What a timely post for me. I too have been tempted to weariness and discouragement in disciplining my little ones. I think I need post those verses in the bathroom :) Thank you, friend. Miss you and look forward to seeing you soon! xoxo

Jordan Family said...

I am praying for you my friend. God has much grace for your day and every day to come. And yes, I agree that Asher's smile is an expression of God's grace to you in the midst of the daily training with the other two. Just remember God promises us a harvest if we don't give up. Galatians 6:9 says,"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Hugs - Amanda